Boundary County Translator District

Regular Meeting—Board of Directors

May 16th, 2017

Chairman Allen Gemmrig called the regular meeting of the Boundary County Translator District Board of Directors to order at 5:00 p.m.

 

1.    Roll Call Present:

a.   Board Members:

Allen Gemmrig                                              Anthony Compton

Dave Wenk                                                   Heather Gemmrig

John Youngwirth

 

Also Present:

Deborah Youngwirth                                      Eric Lederhos

Josh Henderson                                               Rita Pensmith

Roger Frazer                                                   Star Silva                                                            Gerald Higgs                                                   Owen Plato                                                     Lori Plato                                                        Marlaina Davy                                       David Carpenter

 

 

2.    Minutes of Previous Meeting

a.     March 22nd, 2017 – Allen Gemmrig motioned to approve the minutes as presentd, Dave Wenk seconded.  John Youngwirth voted yes, Dave Wenk voted yes, Anthony Compton voted yes, Allen Gemmrig voted yes, Heather Gemmrig voted yes, motion passed. 

b.     March 30th, 2017 – Dave Wenk motioned to approve the minutes as presented.  Heather Gemmrig seconded.  John Youngwirth voted yes, Dave Wenk voted yes, Anthony Compton voted yes, Allen Gemmrig voted yes, Heather Gemmrig voted yes, motion passed. 

c.     April 4th, 2017 -  Heather Gemmrig motioned to approve the minutes as presented.  Anthony Compton seconded.   John Youngwirth voted yes, Dave Wenk voted yes, Anthony Compton voted yes, Allen Gemmrig voted yes, Heather Gemmrig voted yes, motion passed. 

d.     May 2nd, 2017 – Allen Gemmrig motioned to approve the minutes as presented.  Heather Gemmrig seconded.  John Youngwirth voted yes, Dave Wenk voted yes, Anthony Compton voted yes, Allen Gemmrig voted yes, Heather Gemmrig voted yes, motion passed. 

 

3.    Treasurer’s Report

Heather, Dave all in favor motioned to approved the Treasurer’s report as presented. Heather Gemmrig seconded.  John Youngwirth voted yes, Dave Wenk voted yes, Anthony Compton voted yes, Allen Gemmrig voted yes, Heather Gemmrig voted yes, motion passed. 

 

4.     Old Business:

a.     2017 Black Mountain Tower Bid Update – tabled to next month’s meeting as the district has not heard back from Verizon on an approval.

b.     UTV Rental Rate – Anthony Compton stated he would like to see the UTV no longer be available for rental and only used for our maintenance operator when completing maintenance work for the district.  Dave Wenk expressed concern regarding the use of the machine by a subcontractor and if we are legally able to do so, and if the insurance policy will cover the use.  Eric Lederhos stated he did not know if there were any legal issues.  Anthony Compton stated we should check with our attorney and insurance agent to make sure we are within the limits of what we are able to do.  Anthony Compton motioned to cease the rental of the UTV and add to next month’s agenda to discuss how equipment should be handled by the use of a subcontractor when performing district work.  Heather Gemmrig seconded.  Allen Gemmrig voted yes, Anthony Compton voted yes, Dave Wenk voted yes, John Youngwirth voted yes, Heather Gemmrig voted yes.  The office will check with the attorney and the insurance agent to gather more information regarding the use of district equipment by subcontractors, while performing district work.  This item will be added to next month’s agenda. 

c.     District Email Address – the board discussed the email issues they are still having.  Deborah Youngwirth stated that we are still having issues with the county group email and getting the group email correct.  Anthony Compton stated that he would recommend everyone use an Outlook.com email with a group setup within the Outlook.com feature.  Anthony stated that a second option would be for the translator to get a domain of their own that would allow the office to make changes to the group email address.  This item will be tabled to next month’s meeting when Anthony can provide more information on the options for a domain and the cost of such.   

d.     NAB Update – Allen Gemmrig gave a short summary on the NAB meeting he recently attended.   

e.     NTA Meeting & Convention May 19th – 21st, 2017 – Allen Gemmrig and Heather Gemmrig are still planning to attend.  Anthony Compton is not able to attend.  Anthony was supposed to take the Octane Units to the convention to try and sell the octane units.  Eric Lederhos will get a spec sheet and pictures of the Octane units to allow Allen and Heather to try and sell.

 

5.    Maintenance Report

a.     Eric Lederhos – Eric gave a summary of maintenance items repaired.  Minimal items were needed.  Eric Lederhos stated that the winter weather was not too hard on the site and equipment.  Allen Gemmrig asked Eric to make a trip up to the mountain to see if we could rebroadcast on the Channel 9 as it is currently broadcasting a black screen.  Eric will present a quote at next month’s meeting to further discuss options to fix this.  This item will be placed on next month’s agenda. 

b.     Buggy Tracks – Surplus – The front tracks are in good shape but the back two tracks are in need of replacement.  Dave Wenk stated he will call and ask what an estimated price will be for replacement.  Dave stated we are not going to be allowed to include the tracks with the county surplus.  Anthony Compton motioned to deem the tracks surplus property, John Youngwirth seconded.  John Youngwirth voted yes, Dave Wenk voted yes, Anthony Compton voted yes, Allen Gemmrig voted yes, Heather Gemmrig voted yes, motion passed.  Dave will get more information on the value of the tracks. 

 

6.     STUDIO OPERATIONS REPORT:

a.     Future of the Studio – Allen Gemmrig addressed the guests who are present and stated that although no decisions would be made at tonight’s meeting, that anyone that wished to make a statement regarding the studio would be given up to 5 minutes to speak.  David Carpenter addressed the board and asked that the board consider keeping the studio open.  He listed some of the productions that were filmed and that he hoped other productions could be filmed.  Mr. Carpenter stated that several productions were filmed that the drama department did not film because they believed the tv studio was doing it.  Mr. Carpenter expressed his passion for the kids in the school district and that he would like to see the kids get this opportunity.  Anthony Compton stated that he hoped to have further discussion on this issue and looked forward to talking more with Mr. Carpenter in the future.  Dave Wenk expressed his appreciation for Mr. Carpenter attending the meeting and would like to invite him back and to be involved in future meetings that will help determine the outcome of the station.  Dave Wenk stated he would like to get more public input on the process and what the public wants.  Anthony Compton stated that he would like to see the station come to fruition, but he would like to know what the school district is willing to put in for committed time.  Dave Wenk stated he would like to ask for public input and see what options are available.  He would like to wait to see what Verizon commits to on the payment of the tower.  Gerald Higgs, asked if he could make a public comment on this issue now.  Mr. Higgs stated that he did a public records request and in his review, that he looked at the costs spent to date and the total spent to date is around $295,000.  He asked that at what point do we say the costs expended are worth the benefits gained.  As the agreement was written, he stated the agreement was too extravagant for the community to afford.  Anthony Compton stated he is appreciative of Mr. Higgs comments and that kind of input is what the district is needing.  Mr. Higgs stated he had specific concerns that the inclusive and exclusive clause was not clear on the split.  He feels that all of the exclusive funds earned should also be taken in by the district and that none of the funds should be given to the contractor.  Lori Plato stated that she was looking forward to some of the productions, as well as she felt the programming of the City Council meetings, school board meetings, etc are a valuable thing to be distributed to the public.  She felt that is important with so many changes happening in our schools and community and to keep them informed.  Dave Wenk stated he is also in support of the station, as is Anthony Compton and Allen Gemmrig.  However, the financial aspect needs to be considered in all of this.  Lori Plato stated that the value to the kids is important to consider, and for instance, a senior student was working on their senior project there and this was a great way for them to have another positive aspect gained from the studio.  Allen Gemmrig stated, no decisions will be made on the future of the studio at tonight’s meeting as this is the first chance the board has had a chance to discuss.  Allen Gemmrig stated he would like to put information out to the public to request public input from the community.  John Youngwirth stated he would love to see the school more involved with this project.  Dave Wenk stated that NIC or University of Idaho may be interested in participating.  Anthony Compton stated that it makes sense to partner with other organizations that may have other resources.  Dave Wenk pointed out that the expenditures of this project were costing the district more than what they can afford and at the rate we were going, we would likely be broke in a year and a half.  Dave Wenk stated that he is fully aware that the translator tax levy dollars could possibly be raised to $30 per year, but he is not in favor of doing that.  Allen Gemmrig stated he is also not in favor of raising the tax levy amount to fund this project.  Anthony Compton stated that the translator’s primary mandate should be the services it was meant to provide.  Anthony Compton stated that the income expected to be generated from advertising from the station did not happen as they expected and that the income would not be able to be generated in this small community.  Anthony Compton also pointed out that it did not occur to him until the last month that although he wants to see the studio succeed, he does not think it should be at the detriment to other local businesses that are in direct competition.  He’s wondering how fair it is to have tax dollars support a studio that will be competing with a for profit private business.  Allen Gemmrig stated we need a better plan than what we had as he feels we may have been looking through rose colored glasses when it was first presented, and it did not turn out the way we had hoped it would.  Dave Wenk asked how long the station can be off the air.  Allen Gemmrig was not sure what the time frame is, but will look into this further to determine what the definitive time frame is.  Star Silva asked to clarify that if the channel is not broadcasting programming within a certain time, does this mean the license will be lost.  Allen Gemmrig and Anthony Compton explained that yes this would mean the license would be lost and re-application would have to be made.  Star expressed concern that it’s already been about 30 days, and are we coming close to that timeframe.  Allen Gemmrig is planning to talk to FCC contacts at the NTA meeting to see what we need to do.  Mr. Higgs asked if it mattered what needed to be broadcasting.  Anthony Compton stated that at one point, the plan was to stream the live video footage of Black Mountain from the camera that is installed there.  That may still be an option.  Allen Gemmrig stated that the plan moving forward is that it sounds like we need to have a few different meetings with public hearings and it could take a couple of meetings to determine if the studio is viable and if we can move forward.  Dave Wenk asked about the footage of MR. BFHS and what the status is on that.  Anthony Compton stated that he has looked at the equipment that the footage should have been housed on and it appears the equipment has nothing on it.  He is not sure why that is the case and has requested log in information from the contractors to access server storage, but he has yet to receive a response from them.  Anthony has been in contact with the individual that made the public records request and has updated her on the status.  A public hearing will be added to the next month’s agenda to ask for additional information from the public. 

 

 

7.     New Business:  

a.     Roger Fraser Application to Lease for Black Mountain – Roger was present at the meeting to discuss his application for leasing space on the smaller tower on Black Mountain.  Eric Lederhos stated there is no room on the large tower, but there is some room down low on the shorter tower.  It is not the most ideal for Roger’s needs, but it may work for the interim.  Anthony Compton asked how soon Roger would like to install the equipment.  Roger stated he is working on a few more pieces of equipment to acquire before he will be ready to install.  He stated he thinks he can be up and running within 90 days.  Based on the information stated by Eric below (item 7b), Allen Gemmrig motioned to approve a temporary placement to Roger Fraser as long as it is functioning within 90 days.  If it is not operational by the end of the 90 days, then it will need to be removed.  Heather Gemmrig seconded.  John Youngwirth voted yes, Dave Wenk voted yes, Anthony Compton voted yes, Allen Gemmrig voted yes, Heather Gemmrig voted yes, motion passed.  Allen Gemmrig amended motion to include the renal rate to be determined based on the translator rental rate schedule and final rental amount will be determined based on the actual equipment installed.  Anthony Compton seconded.  John Youngwirth voted yes, Dave Wenk voted yes, Anthony Compton voted yes, Allen Gemmrig voted yes, Heather Gemmrig voted yes, motion passed.   

b.     Dylan Benefield – Blue Sky Broadcasting Email – Eric spoke with Dylan Benefield regarding the request submitted.  Anthony Compton stated he has concerns with approving both of Roger’s request and Dylan’s request without knowing the space limitations on the towers.  Eric stated that there is some clean up that can happen that could free up some space but the Triple Rohn tower will be going away at some point and the equipment on it can eventually be moved to the new tower.  Eric Lederhos stated that he feels there is enough space to accommodate the above two requests and for the time being, the spots available will be temporary and at some point could be moved to the new tower when installed.  The request made by Dylan Benefield was only presented in an email form and appears they are thinking they have equipment already installed that can be used.  Allen Gemmrig will communicate with Dylan Benefield letting him know that an application needs to be submitted for approval as it appears they do not have the equipment on the tower that they may think they do.   

c.     Budget Amendment to add Tower Cost & Reimbursement – tabled to next month’s meeting as we do not have an approved tower replacement bid from Verizon yet. 

 

8.    Emergency Response Committee Report:

      a.   No Update.

 

9.    Tax Waiver Applications:

a.     None

 

10. Executive Session:

a.     None.

 

Anthony Compton motioned to adjourn, Allen Gemmrig seconded.   John Youngwirth voted yes, Dave Wenk voted yes, Anthony Compton voted yes, Allen Gemmrig voted yes, Heather Gemmrig voted yes, motion passed. 

 

Next Meeting: Tuesday, June 20th, 2017 at 5 p.m. @ the office of Youngwirth, Davis & Associates.