Boundary County Translator District

Regular Meeting—Board of Directors

February 21st, 2017

Chairman Allen Gemmrig called the regular meeting of the Boundary County Translator District Board of Directors to order at 5:00 p.m.

 

1.    Roll Call Present:

a.   Board Members:

Rita Pensmith                                                Anthony Compton

Allen Gemmrig                                              Heather Gemmrig

Dave Wenk

 

 

Also Present:

Deborah Youngwirth                                      John Youngwirth    

Eric Lederhos                                                  Crista Davis

 

 

2.    Minutes of Previous Meeting

Rita Pensmith motioned to approve the minutes of the previous month’s meeting with correction to paragraph six (6) section c to be changed from “equipment we’ve paid for” to “the equipment that Tech Partner has paid approximately $8,000.00 for.  The Translator will pay for the Muxer when the Octain units have been sold, Heather Gemmrig seconded, motion carried.

 

3.    Treasurer’s Report

Rita Pensmith motioned to approve the treasurer’s report as presented   Anthony Compton seconded, motion carried. Asked about $1,000 expense on buggy, wondering why so much maintenance on a 3-year-old machine. Want to explore other options ie: sheriff office snowmobile.

 

4.     Old Business:

a.     Octane Units – The Octane Units have been deemed surplus equipment and we will be selling them out right, Anthony is willing to research the group email option to get the word out. Jim McDonald should be a good contact for the email.  Rita Pensmith states that they had an offer $4,000 a piece, offer is a year old. Anthony Compton motioned that if the offer is still good – take the offer. Dave Wenk seconded.  

b. Verizon Agreement for New Tower –Rita Pensmith motioned that we put out the same RFP as last year with date corrections.  Review the completion date – to be completed by August 15th, 2017.  Anthony Compton seconded. Put in the paper as soon as possible in March and run for one month. That if not completed by August 15th, 2017 – there will be penalties the office will verify that this included in RFP.

c.   Audit – table until the next meeting to allow board members to review.

 

5.    Maintenance Report

Channel 7 was off, power button was off in the front of the machine.  They have never seen this kind of failure.  Eric will check the cameras for any individuals in it.  The track machine is getting a new primary clutch.  This has a lot of maintenance, blew belt going up to 911 tower. Now using a $150 belt rather than a $50 belt. UTV costs a lot to operate. Eric feels like there should be a raise in price for the use.  Only charging 25 and snowmobile is at 20 per hour. With the high maintenance, it should cost more to rent it. Anthony will talk with Dave Kramer.  Board wants to know for the time of ownership - what the maintenance costs are.  Public radio wants them to go back up the mountain, the buggy is down but will be available on Monday or Tuesday.

 

KBCI Problems: Tech Partner is worried about the height of the antenna. Eric says it is still six feet above the snow level.  Eric feels that snow on the dish caused the signal to go out, and that it probably will happen again.

 

6.     STUDIO OPERATIONS REPORT:

a.   Revenue and Usage –Rita Pensmith referenced the email that Mike Listman sent out, still no advertising has been sold.  There is no local connect, and people do not want to advertise without local connect.  Rita Pensmith says that because it is competition for advertising she cannot get in Bonners Ferry Living.  A package deal with the BF Herald is in the works.  Rita Pensmith says she has reached out to Kevin Dinning – BFHS principal- will be reaching out to individual teachers.  The studio is manned 9 – 1 Monday thru Friday.  John Barnett is losing channels 38 and up.  Allen Gemmrig wants to get as many channels as we can get. Rita Pensmith feels we should reach out to Jim McDonald to find individuals to help us write licenses.  Eric Lederhos believes he can reach out to a contact with Priest Lake Translator on the individual they use for writing licenses.

 

      Affiliation agreements provided by Rita Pensmith: Board members are reviewing those agreements they are going to come up with a draft for Eric Lederhos that will be sent to the attorney for review for legality and then presented.  Eric Lederhos, Dave Wenk and Anthony Compton are going to work on a draft.

 

b.   Programming – No Update at this time.

c.   Equipment –Still do not have the manual for the equipment – Rita Pensmith has sent a deadline to get a response of March 10th or they will ship back the muxer.

d.   Community – None

e.   Promotion – Trying to have an open house once a month, scattering the days each month. The ad has not run in the herald yet, it is supposed to run this week. How is the money being handled for the advertising once it is sold? Rita Pensmith said she set up a checking account that is separate from her other business dealings to deposit advertising dollars.  Deborah Youngwirth questioned if the monies should be coming to the translator district instead of going into the Tech Partner account? Rita Pensmith says no, that those monies go to Tech Partners.  Deborah Youngwirth asked why would there be a fee each month if Tech Partners is keeping all the money?  The Translator owns the studio equipment, and pays Tech Partner a monthly fee to run the studio.  Why would Tech Partners be keeping the advertising dollars – they should be coming back to the Translator to offset the cost of the monthly fee that Tech Partner is receiving.  Allen Gemmrig wants each member to review the contract and this will be discussed at the next meeting.

f.    Commercials – sex talk lines.  Rita Pensmith clarified that we are not broadcasting advertising for sex talk lines, we are rebroadcasting affiliate channels in which we have no control over content.  The content is only shown after a certain time each day.  To get rid of the commercial you would have to pay more to pull the channels commercials and add our own.  Basically, this was a clarification of why these are running on the channels.

 

7.     New Business:  

  a.    Priest Lake District email: Already dealt with

  b.    Commercial lease needs to be reviewed and fixed.

  c.    Who is going to the Denver conference: Tabled to the March meeting.

  d.    Heather Gemmrig motioned to approve the appointment of John Youngwirth to the Board of Directors.  Anthony Compton seconded, motion carried.

 

8.    Emergency Response Committee Report:

      a.   No Update.

 

9.    Tax Waiver Applications:

a.     None

 

10. Executive Session:

a.     None.   

 

Anthony Compton motioned to adjourn, Dave Wenk seconded, motion carried.

 

Next Meeting: Wednesday, March 22nd, 2017 at 5 p.m. @ Bonners Ferry Visitors Center.