Boundary County Translator District

Regular Meeting—Board of Directors

January 17th, 2017

Chairman Allen Gemmrig called the regular meeting of the Boundary County Translator District Board of Directors to order at 5:00 p.m.

 

1.    Roll Call Present:

a.   Board Members:

Rita Pensmith                                                Anthony Compton

Allen Gemmrig                                              Heather Gemmrig

Dave Wenk - Excused

 

 

Also Present:

Deborah Youngwirth                                      Michael Listman          

Eric Lederhos                                                  Crista Davis

 

 

2.    Minutes of Previous Meeting

Anthony Compton motioned to approve the minutes of the previous month’s meeting.  Heather Gemmrig seconded, motion carried.

 

3.    Treasurer’s Report

Anthony Compton motioned to approve the treasurer’s report as presented, Heather Gemmrig seconded, motion carried.

 

4.     Old Business:

a.     Octane Units – The office will check with the county to see if the sale has to happen through the county auction or if we can declare it surplus property and sell privately. 

b. FAA Changes on Lights on Tower – Allen Gemmrig has found nothing that shows we have to adhere to this mandate as of yet. 

c. Verrizon Agreement for New Tower – Anthony Compton reviewed the agreement and has some notes on it that he will send out to the board members for their input.    

 

5.    Maintenance Report

a.     Eric Lederhos stated 102.3 has been running well and ha has some issues to look at on site that he is hoping to get up to Black Mountain this week to take a look at.  He stated the camera on Black Mountain is up and running and anyone that wants to log in can use the password he provided.  Eric will get an approval request for anyone that submits the request and will approve.  Eric stated that all the buggy repairs have been completed and will help to extend the life of the equipment.  Allen Gemmrig asked if we’d heard from Priest River Search & Rescue regarding the interference issues we’ve had with their equipment on Black Mountain.  They are accessing equipment remotely to use as needed until they can get up there to assess issues. 

   

 

6.     STUDIO OPERATIONS REPORT:

a.   Revenue and Usage – Mike Listman stated they are actively trying to sell ads but none have sold as of yet.  Rita Pensmith stated that many people seem hesitant and ask for the flyer to review the rates and options but no one has yet committed to advertising.  Eric Lederhos asked if there was something she could send him so he could take a look as he might be interested in putting up an ad.  Allen Gemmrig asked if Rita could email out to the whole board so that everyone had the price list to refer to.  Mike stated they are currently running a special that first order is ½ off.  Also there is a discount for anyone that pays for one year in advance.        

b.   Programming – Mike Listman stated that City of Bonners Ferry council meetings are airing daily Monday through Friday.  They are also working on the background music that plays and are looking into licensing music instead of using the local KBFI am station.  Discussion surrounded other options of events to be broadcasted and it was mentioned that the school has other activities that would be good candidates for broadcast.  For example, school plays, concerts, and other sporting events.  Currently Chuck Newhouse does some video feed of Varsity sporting events, and he was not interested in doing this for the TV station.  Mike Listman will look into other options.  There have been lots of requests for programming    

c.   Equipment – Mike Listman stated he has been trying to get the instruction manual from the company that the new equipment was purchased from.  They have given him the runaround about sending it and he has been unable to obtain a copy otherwise.  The board suggested he tell them to send an electronic copy via email as we should be able to use the equipment that Tech Partner has paid $10,000.00 for.  The Translator will pay for the Muxer when the Octain units have been sold. 

d.   Community – Mike Listman stated that the intern student volunteering at the station for his senior project is still working and helping out. 

e.   Promotion – A press release was sent out to local agencies to let people know about the station.  An open house will be held on Friday, January 20th, 2017 from 9am – 5pm. 

 

7.     New Business:

a.     Retransmission Agreement for Cable – the board does not have any issues with Eric Lederhos rebroadcasting on cable, but an agreement is needed to do so.  The district currently does not have anything in place but Rita Pensmith stated she has copies of what other agencies have provided to them and that can be used as a sample to draft an agreement.  The board agreed to do this and have a draft reviewed by the attorney.    

b.     2013-14 & 2014-15 Audit Engagement Letter – Leonard Schulte is working on the audit currently and with the timeline falling such that it does, he is able to also pull in the 2015-16 fiscal year.

c.     NTA Meeting – will be held May 19-21, 2017 in Denver, CO.  

 

8.    Emergency Response Committee Report:

      a.   No Update.

 

9.    Tax Waiver Applications:

a.     None

 

10. Executive Session:

a.     None.   

 

Heather Gemmrig motioned to adjourn, Rita Pensmith seconded, motion carried.

 

Next Meeting: Tuesday, January 21st, 2017 at 5 p.m. @ Bonners Ferry Visitors Center.