Boundary County T

Boundary County Translator District

Regular Meeting—Board of Directors


November 15th, 2011

Vice-Chairman Barry Coleman called the regular meeting of the Boundary County Translator District Board of Directors to order.      


1.     Roll Call Present:

a.       Board Members:

Barry Coleman                                   Michael Listman - LOA

Rita Pensmith – LOA                         Anthony Compton     

Roger Fraser                                        Allen Gemmrig - absent


Also Present:

Nick Johnson                                      Marlaina Davy

Garry Garrett                                      Joan Mackey


2.     Minutes of Previous Meeting

Anthony Compton motioned to approve last month’s minutes and Roger Fraser seconded, motion carried.


3.     Treasurer’s Report

a.       Roger Fraser motioned to approve treasurer’s report as presented Anthony Compton seconded, motion carried.


4.     Old Business:

a.                   Surplus equipment update – Nick would like to take some additional pictures to present to the Board.

b.                  BPS Update from Roger Fraser – Roger is concerned that if we have a problem with the translator we do not have a spare.  It is very hard to troubleshoot where the problem is and it would be cheaper to purchase a new one for around $4,000.00 per BPS.  The translators are from the 1970’s.  Roger is going to see if we can get the current one repaired – we have 5 of them that are currently in service.  Roger is going to see if he can find a repairman for the translators. 



5.     Maintenance Report

a.       Nick took pictures at the site of the Copper Creek site for their biologist.  Nick is hoping to hear a decision from the Forest Service regarding the site.

b.      Nick will need to haul more propane to the Copper Creek site.  Currently the generator is charging and E.L. has not had to go up to the site.  The new generator is installed and more parts should be here tomorrow.  When the charger comes in the battery bank will be rewired to 48 volts.  When the new charger is installed the Board should be able to sell the old charger from the Copper Creek site.

c.       The snowmobile title was given to Nick for the snowmobiles that E.L. Automation purchased from the Translator District with Barry Coleman signing off on the title.

d.      Verizon Wireless –Is requesting a four foot dish to be installed at this time not the 8 foot dish.  They are trying to get the 4g setup and have it installed by the end of 2012.  They have to have it on the tower within three months.  They are having some legal issue on the Canadian side.

e.                   The Sherriff’s office moved off the wooden pole onto the triple rung. 


6.     New Business:

a.       Frank Stevens – Not in attendance the meeting.

b.      Joan Mackey – We are charging a translator fee but Joan is unable to receive the signal at her house which is in a grove of trees.  The signal was delivered to the edge of the property per E.L. Automations testing.

c.       Donna Standley Letter – This issue tabled because Roger Fraser left the meeting

d.      Donald Compton Request – no action taken

e.       Permission to Re-broadcast – our FCC licenses say we are a re-broadcasting entity.  Nick will review their files to make sure this is correct.

f.       Idaho Department of Parks and Recreation – Barry signed the permit and it was given to E.L. Automation to be placed upon the snowmobile.

g.      Gary Garrett – Black Mountain is receiving a loud signal Garry’s theory is that the engineer has set up the transmitter to find the best signal.  Gary came down tonight to keep the Translator Board in the loop.  It could be anyone using the 5800 mhz.  He is continuing to receive interruption in signal because someone is using the same signal as he is.  Barry suggests giving the translator board a detailed letter showing his findings.

h.      John & Jeannie Adams and Leo Sanders – Leo understands our situation.  Adams was very unbending in his thoughts regarding the translator fee. 



7.     Emergency Response Committee Report:

a.       None.


8.     Tax Waiver Applications:

a.       Arnold Fessler – 6255 Hemlock Street – Send a letter asking for a copy of a recent Cable Bill with an attachment of the law and penalty regarding the exemption of the tax assessment.  Approved pending copy of Cable Bill

b.      Daniel R & Joan Myers – 517 Two Tail Road – Send a letter of Denial of Affidavit stating the law and the test results also if a re-test is requested it will be at the landowner’s expense. Roger moved that we approve conditionally the Fessler’s and we disapprove of Myer’s Affidavit. Seconded by Anthony with all in favor.



  Roger Frazer motioned to adjourn, Allen Gemmrig seconded, motion carried.


Next Meeting:  Tuesday, December 20th , 2011, 5:00 p.m.  @ Bonners Ferry Visitors Center.