Boundary County T


Boundary County Translator District

Regular Meeting—Board of Directors


September 21, 2010

Chairman Mike Listman called the regular meeting of the Boundary County Translator District Board of Directors to order.      


1.     Roll Call Present:

a.       Board Members:

Barry Coleman                                   Michael Listman

Rita Pensmith - Excused                     Anthony Compton                   

Roger Fraser - Excused  


Also Present:

Deborah Youngwirth              Mike Ladely               

Gary Gage                               Orrin Everhart



2.     Minutes of Previous Meeting

Barry Coleman motioned to approve last month’s minutes with the correction to Roll Call Present, as Mike Ladely was not present at the meeting.  In addition, a change to New Business 6(a) that a larger battery is needed, not longer battery.  Anthony Compton seconded, motion carried. 



3.     Treasurer’s Report

a.       Barry Coleman motioned to approve treasurer’s report as presented Anthony Compton seconded, motion carried.



4.     Old Business:

a.                   Lease Agreement – Avista Corp – the tower Avista is looking to be on would be at 100% capacity once Avista and Verizon were on with any new equipment.  The move of Verizon from the tower it currently resides on will free up some space on that tower.  A new lease needs to be sent to Avista to include rent to cover 21 feet of antennae space and 3 rack units plus power.  A revised lease needs to be sent to Verizon to replace old rate and to include 59 feet of antennae space and 2.5 rack space, with no addition for power. 

b.                  Interference Issues – Mike Ladely discussed quote for filters.  Barry Coleman motioned to approve purchase of filters as this will make us in compliance with our own site standards.  Anthony Compton seconded, motion carried. 

c.                   Quote for power to Copper Creek.  Eric Lederhos presented quote for power as a rental amount of $288 per month.  Gary Gage expressed concern for conflict of interest since his equipment is on Copper Creek and Eric is going into the internet service provider business.  Gary has a contact with Border Patrol that may be willing to help provide the power supply needed.  It may be preliminary to make a decision regarding power needs until representative from Border Patrol can view the site.  Anthony expressed concerns on “donating” to EL Automation the equipment that’s already been paid for and the large expenses just recently paid for upgrades to the Copper Creek site.  Eric’s power lease proposal would include EL taking over ownership of the equipment and thus maintenance of the Copper Creek site if the board agrees to pay a monthly fee for power.  Anthony stated we need to have a plan and it’s not likely we can do anything in the time frame we have before winter is here.  Anthony stated he would be interested in hearing from the Border Patrol representative and all board members agreed they would be willing to come in for a special meeting to further discuss if necessary.  This led into the next topic of discussion and what the plan needed to be to get us through another winter with the thought that power needs will not be met with current equipment.  The batteries would need to be replaced at Copper Creek - if no batteries, the generator would be used continually which would not be sufficient.  Mike Ladely will get a new quote for batteries and email out.  The board decided to continue as is with the possibility of new batteries to assist with that.  Barry Coleman motioned to approve, Anthony seconded.




5.     Maintenance Report                                                                       

1.      Trailer for Snowmobile – needs purchased – board was under the belief that the trailer was already purchased.  Mike Ladely will get with Eric Lederhos to discuss further.  Gary Gage stated the board is free to use his trailer if needed as it’s good to have a second rider to go to the mountain when needed.  He has a winch and recommends having one – that would cost approximately $3,000 - $4,000.

2.      Gary Gage expressed concern for cost of maintenance in the past year or two.  He asked if there is a need for full time employee coverage as opposed to contracted services with EL Automation.  Barry Coleman stated that we have not identified a need for full time employee but potentially a part time employee may be needed.  We have also had a lot of labor cost in the last two years with the conversion to digital.  We do not expect to have the same costs as in the past years.



6.     New Business:

a.       Copper Creek – Future Plans – See Old Business

b.      Orrin Everhart – was in attendance to observe and ask questions as a prospective county commissioner.  The group discussed the need to replace towers due to OSHA standard changes that will be at an approximate cost of $120,000.  Also discussed was the budget and the recent increase from $10 per year to $20 per year.


7.     Emergency Response Committee Report:

a.        No update – the committee is proceeding forward with current projects being worked on.




8.     Tax Waiver Applications:

a.                               Larry Funkhouser – 17 Whipsaw Rd, Moyie Springs, Idaho 



Barry Coleman motioned to move to Executive Session as per Idaho Code 67-2345, Anthony Compton seconded, motion carried.


Upon coming out of Executive Session, Barry Coleman motioned to adjourn the meeting, Anthony Compton seconded, motion carried.



Next Meeting:  Tuesday, October 19, 2010, 4:00 p.m.  @ Bonners Ferry Visitors Center.